Friday, July 30, 2010

Cluster Fuck

Ok, I was thinking about my life and how I have completely turned a great life template into a major CLUSTER FUCK. Then I thought about it, where the HELL did that turn of phrase originate. I did a little searching and here is what I came up with. I am not certain that it is accurate, but interesting none-the-less.

Synonyms: Charlie Foxtrot, goat-rope

First:
What does cluster fuck mean?
1)A chaotic mess that might be compared to group sex, in which participants are so intertwined and intermingled that they might penetrate each other rather than their intended target.
2)Its more precise usage describes a particular kind of Catch-22 , in which multiple complicated problems mutually interfere with each other's solution. The looser usage, referring to any chaotic situation, probably prevails
3)A confusing or chaotic situation or event, often caused by a failure of communication, an excessive amount of people attempting to accomplish a given task, or complex environment.

Second: Why is cluster fuck my WOTD?
Well, it's a cool sounding dirty word first off. But mostly, I just feel like when people have a pessimistic world view, life is a Catch-22. You are always presented at forks in the road, with many choices, both important and trivial. For an optimist, these are opportunities for growth and success. But for the pessimists these forks are more chances for cruel fate, bad judgment or karma to come back and bite them in the ass.
So as I sit here having my pity party, I think of how I have complicated things for myself and those around me creating a cluster fuck of a scenario. I always feel that I pick the wrong side of the fork, but my dad always reminds me that we NEVER know what the other side would have been like as we did not take that road.
I know that our reality is just how we perceive our lives and our feelings come directly from our actions and what we choose to think about and with whom and what we surround ourselves.


Third: Where does the term cluster fuck originate?
It is widely used in the American military, going at least back to the Vietnam War, and some say was coined by a 1960's "hippie" poet Ed sanders as he used the term Mongolian cluster fuck.

So when you break it down, there are three pieces to this word puzzle:

1) Mongolian: This one I am just guessing at, but the Mongols were some MESSED UP DUDES. So this qualifier, I believe, is utilized to underscore the brutality and "fucked-up-ness" of the whole situation

2) Cluster: Here are a few possibilities that I did not know that come from military origins, which, of course, made me immediately interested in the word.

"One possibility is that it refers to the fucking which is perpetrated upon the target of a cluster: a large group of fragmentation or incendiary bombs dropped at once.

It may also refer to an alternate definition of "cluster," involving groups of mines deployed in a single area to be effective against both tanks and humans

This phrase was also used by Marines during the Vietnam War to refer to a cluster of people large enough to get severely screwed or a group of marines large enough to draw enemy fire, or to all be injured by a single explosive. "

3) And FUCK!!! There have been many definitions and usages for this word, but it's pretty self-explanitory, at least I think it is!!!! For those of you who don't know about the versatility of this word: FUCK YOU


Mongolian cluster fuck has also been used as a term to describe an orgy. Maybe because of one of the above definitions.

Not to plagiarize. Here's where I obtained this information Some of it I did copy verbatim, He did a good job so I kept it that way:
http://www.capmarine.com/cap/glossary/glossary.htm.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/clusterfuck
http://everything2.com/title/cluster+fuck

2 comments:

  1. Oh and BTW I omitted defining FUCK. I think that is pretty self explanatory for most folks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mongolian enters from Mongoloid Idiot, a common old-timey derogatory phrase for a person with Down's Syndrome; therefore a Mongolian Clusterfuck is more mentally retarded than a regular clusterfuck. Credit Ed Sanders, 1960s.

    ReplyDelete